A couple of new developments today:
- The squirrels have started to build a nest in their hammock. I was re-reading the manual and I saw a note that dried corn husks make good nesting material. At first I was disappointed, because my friends and I ate a lot of corn last week, but I didn’t think to save the husks. But then I had a brainstorm. I had grown some corn in my garden earlier this year and a few of the cobs overripened while I was out of town. So I had just left them on the stalks, which meant that I had a bunch of already dried husks I could harvest. And the manual was right—those are primarily what they’re using for the nest.
- I introduced some walnuts in the shells to the mix. I partially cracked a few of them to get the squirrels started, and boy did they! They were going nuts for them! (Pun intended. 🙂 No one’s managed to crack one of the whole ones yet, but I’m sure it won’t be long.
Not much else to report. Everyone’s eating well and jumping around the cage like crazy. It’s nice to not have to worry so much about their health as I did when they were smaller. Basically, I’m now just working towards weaning them over the next week or two, so they can be transferred to an outdoor enclosure for a few weeks before they’re released. Boy, the time sure has flown…